Friday, May 30, 2008

Kindess of Strangers

I recently went on a trip with Pumpkin to visit some of my family, just me and her. I walked through the airport with a baby strapped to the front of me (a very heavy baby I might add), overflowing diaper bag draped across me, purse balancing on my shoulder, pushing a stoller that had a car seat set on top of it. The car seat was dangerously close to ending up on the floor several times. I am sure I was quite the site for my fellow airport-goers!
After checking my stroller planeside, I (with great difficulty) attempted to drag my car seat behind me onto the plane. Then I heard a sweet voice say "Can I carry that for you?" I turned to this stranger as a wave of gratitude swept through my body and said "Oh thankyou!" She then carried it all the way to my seat and since it is a very large carseat (remember that heavy baby), she also endured the annoyed stares from passengers who got slightly bumped as she made her way down the aisle. When the plane landed, I hurriedly gathered up pacifiers from under the seat, toys out of the seat pockets and wiped the smooshed graham crackers off the seat belt. Then I heard that Heavenly voice again. Not only did she help me off the plane with my loads of stuff but she also got my luggage off the turnstile, wheeled it out to the curb and stayed and chatted with me until my sister arrived to pick me up. She had to be at the airport another hour to wait for her husband who was arriving on a later flight so she wasn't in any huge hurry but she still went way beyond the call of duty and I am truly grateful. Hooray for the kindness of strangers. Help someone you don't know today. :)

0 comments: